On Sunday night while I was at dinner at my parents we got to talking about travel. Since my mom had just booked all our Hawaii tickets (165 days!) she was telling us that the more she searched for tickets with and without using points the more expensive they became. The boyfriend chimed in that if you don’t clear your web browser airlines can increase the prices because they are using your cookies to track what sites you have visited. I was never aware of this and my mom was in shock so it got me thinking what else can you do to lower the cost of your flight tickets. After a decent amount of googling I came up with this list:
1. Clear your history
- As stated above airlines use your cookies to see what sites you have been to. Clear your history and you should see a price drop.
2. Look for deals
- This goes without saying but sign up for Expedia or West Jet’s weekly sale and maybe your destination will be next on the list.
3. Book one person at a time
- My mom found this out that when she put in that she was looking for 5 tickets the fares were drastically cheaper per person then when she put in 1 traveller at a time. She then assigned us all seats near each other.
4. Fly Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Everyone has the weekend off so that’s when they travel, if you can travel mid-week, do so to save a couple extra bucks.
5. Round trip isn’t the cheapest option
- Sometimes booking 2 one-way tickets can be cheaper in total than booking a round-trip, make sure you check out your options.
So there you have it, 5 easy ways to potentially save hundreds of dollars on travel expenses. Since I plan on doing a lot of travelling in the next couple years I will definitely use these tips as I jet off to foreign countries!